This article was originally featured in the May 2015 issue in New Orleans Magazine. Article by Bonnie Warren.
Overlooking Bayou St. John, the historic raised cottage on Moss Street was originally built in 1850 and served as a rowing club, a fencing club, and a movie production studio until it was purchased by the McRaes in 2011.
The McRaes owned many antiques and custom-made furniture, so ensuring the continuity of custom design and attention to detail was extremely important to them. Ian Dreyer, Co-Owner and Managing Partner of NANO, designed and built the bookcases in the family room and master bedroom, as well as the light fixtures in the family room from cypress slats removed from the upstairs hallway during the renovation.
“The progressive mindset of Mark and Cathy aided us in creating modern 21st century living spaces within the historic residence,” explains NANO partner Terri Hogan Dreyer. “Our team did over 80 percent of the house, making sure to maintain the historic integrity of everything, with any construction materials removed thoughtfully reused or reinstalled.”